Gautrain Rapid Rail Link, South Africa
As a member of the Bombela Consortium, Bombardier Transportation has been contracted by the Gauteng Provincial Government of South Africa to provide an 80-kilometre (50-mile) rapid rail transit system to connect Johannesburg, Tshwane (Pretoria) and the OR Tambo International Airport.
With service to commence in 2010, Bombardier is responsible for designing and supplying the core electrical and mechanical systems. This includes a fleet of 96 ELECTROSTAR vehicles, as well as 15 years of maintenance services.
In conjunction with its Broad Based Black Economic Empowerment partners, Bombardier is also responsible for:
- CITYFLO 250 automatic train control technology
- Power supply and distribution systems
- Communications systems
- Automatic fare collection
- Trackwork and maintenance equipment
- Project management
- Systems engineering and integration
- Testing and commissioning
- Workshop equipment
- Training and manuals